Subject: bug#9406: 24.0.50; Use M-p/M-n to navigate through the kill ring

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:22:20 +0200

Hi Juri,

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 14:27, Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Yes, this would be good.  So it could work exactly like `C-s M-p'
> in Isearch mode where `M-p' activates the minibuffer.  `C-y M-p'
> could do the same.

Using the minibuffer would be indeed a way of doing this, but on
second thought I think that it would be better to have "in-site"
replacement of the yanked text (like M-y does now), because:

1. It would be quicker: It saves you the extra <RET> once you have
selected the wanted entry.

2. When the killed text is tall (has many lines), the minibuffer would
show only a small fragment of it.

Thus, for example if you wanted to yank the third entry from the kill
ring, all you would have to to is "C-y M-p M-p M-p" and you're done.
Very quick, very intuitive, very convenient!

I'm not an expert in Emacs' internals, but I think that one way of
implementing this would be as a minor mode, that would be activated by
C-y (like Isearch is activated by C-s), and deactivated by "anything
else" (distinct from M-p M-n and M-y*).

(*) The behavior of M-y would remain the same, obviously, for old-timers.

-- 
Dani Moncayo