Subject: bug#9402: list-colors-display

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 05:50:30 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 23:10:20 +0300
> 
> You can't have the same colors even on one platform now.
> When you run Emacs on a tty you get an absolutely different set of colors
> than when you run Emacs on X.

It's not absolutely different.  It approximates the X colors where
that is possible.  I did say the behavior should be the same "as much
as possible", didn't I?

> When you run Emacs on dark background, you get different colors
> than on light background, and so on.

Aha, and what would your "system defaults" do when the background mode
changes?  The Windows "default" region color is a very deep blue
background, which will be almost invisible on a dark background.

> So an attempt to bring all colors to some unique set is futile.

Yeah, right.