Subject: bug#9402: list-colors-display

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 23:00:09 +0300

> Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:11:40 +0200
> From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
> CC: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> > I would actually turn the table and ask why the heck do we have
> > system-specific defaults for GTK and NS.  I thought Emacs was supposed
> > to behave the same on all platforms, except where it's impossible.
> 
> The GUI is far from identical on all platforms.

??? What do you mean by that?  The widgets may look somewhat
differently, but the behavior is the same and the menus present the
same choices.

> This is just a GUI thing, the behaviour is the same.

Colors are significant, because humans tend to associate meaning to
each color.  Messing them up confuses those who have certain default
colors hard-wired into their brains.

IOW, it's not "just a GUI thing", it's a very important part of Emacs
look-and-feel.

> For better integration with the desktop it is desirable to have the
> default highlight match other applications.

Obviously, I couldn't disagree more, when colors are involved.