Subject: Re: bug#9402: list-colors-display

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 05:54:55 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 00:17:42 +0300
> 
> >> There are more colors that are valid for using but hidden from users
> >> such as e.g. on a tty: `unspecified-fg', `unspecified-bg'.
> >
> > They are meaningless and cannot be set by Emacs.  IOW, they are
> > "read-only", as far as Emacs is concerned.  Exposing them to users
> > would be confusing.
> 
> All colors are "read-only" for users in the sense that users can't
> change them.  But platform-specific colors are not different from other
> colors in the sense that they are used in face customization.

Sorry, I was talking only about unspecified-bg and unspecified-fg.
Emacs simply has no way of requesting these colors, it uses these
names for the original TTY color whose foreground and background are
unknown.