Subject: bug#9402: closed (Re: bug#9402: list-colors-display)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 10:10:02 +0000

Your bug report

#9402: list-colors-display

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
9402: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9402
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#9402: list-colors-display
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 06:06:05 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 11:36:44 +0300
> 
> > Aha, and what would your "system defaults" do when the background mode
> > changes?  The Windows "default" region color is a very deep blue
> > background, which will be almost invisible on a dark background.
> 
> Exactly the same deep blue background is currently used by default
> on a dark background in the face definition:
> 
>   (defface region
>     '((((class color) (min-colors 88) (background dark))
>        :background "blue3")

No, they are different.  Look at the RGB values, if you don't see that
by just looking at the colors.  Blue3 looks sufficiently different
from black on my display.

Anyway, time to close this bug report.

Subject: list-colors-display
From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 22:27:50 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Two problems related to `list-colors-display':

1. On a tty, running `M-x list-colors-display RET' displays
truncated hex color values like:              red    #cd000$
where $ is displayed at the end of the partial line.

To display the complete line this could be fixed by incrementing
`align-to' from 9 to 10 in `list-colors-print'.  But after that
when running it on X two extra spaces are displayed at the end
of these lines.

Maybe the bug is somewhere deeper in the display engine
that aligns differently on a tty and X?

2. New faces `gtk_selection_fg_color' and `gtk_selection_bg_color'
now are available for using on GTK but they are not listed in
`list-colors-display', and they can't be selected and completed in
`customize-face'.

There are more colors that are valid for using but hidden from users
such as e.g. on a tty: `unspecified-fg', `unspecified-bg'.