Subject: bug#940: Is there a way to quit loading of ~/.emacs please?

From: "Yiyi Hu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 07:45:30 +0800

The reason I request this feature is just trying to make elisp and
emacs more flexible.
With this or without this feature won't hurt emacs' perfections in my mind.
What I want is, if we can make best get better.

Compile ~/.emacs won't take much time, even I do byte-compile-file
within emacs, and bind it to a key doesn't spend much. It doesn't hurt
either when press this key every time I want to compile ~/.emacs. But
this is not the perfect sollution, The perfect sollution should be,
let computer do what we want.

You still have to specify custom-file within ~/.emacs and split
~/.emacs, don't you?
For ~/.emacs, I ever have really big ~/.emacs.d, because of copying
every interesting into ~/.emacs.d, and load it within ~/.emacs, As
time goes, It grew beyond my control, I can find what I want to change
easily. So, I choose to use only one ~/.emacs for better
maintainablity, and let ~/.emacs to compile itself on demand.

You didn't misunderstand anything, You just don't understand why
people sometimes will like to stick in polar direction. :-)

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 6:10 AM, Lennart Borgman (gmail)
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Yiyi Hu wrote:
>> Why not use 'unless' statement version?
>>  (unless (byte-compile-file-if-newer "~/.emacs")
>> remaining lisp code ...)
>> Because, This will confuse M-x customize-* series functions.
>
> Just set custom-file to store customizations in another file.
>
>> Why not splitting ~/.emacs?
>> I did this, and It's not a happy journey. Eg, when change something, I
>> have to think wether I should put here or there, or within ~/.emacs.
>
> Not if you just put everything there.
>
> But the main question is: Why do you want to compile absolutely
> everything? I feel there must be some misunderstanding somewhere. How
> much time to you win?
>
> How many times do you start Emacs? I think most users just start Emacs
> one they boot their computer.
>