Subject: bug#9366: Display geometry change hook

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 09:16:58 +0200

> Yes, I know about WM_DISPLAYCHANGE (although we currently only handle
 > the full-screen frames there).

Has anyone ever confirmed that it correctly handles the full-screen
frames?

 > But the corresponding X feature
 > requires the use of a special X module, and I don't know what happens
 > on macOS.  So I thought a platform-independent method that always
 > works, and can be implemented in just one place, is a better
 > alternative.

But such a platform-independent method on X would boil down to using the
same special X module as the platform-dependent method.  That is, we
would try running XRANDR in either case ...  I don't know about macOS.

 > Besides, adding one more special event comes with minor disadvantages
 > of its own -- one more event to disregard in situations like
 > while-no-input etc.

But at least on Windows we have to pay attention to such events anyway.

martin