Subject: 24.0.50; Gnus nnrss group names in utf-8

From: Tetsuo Tsukamoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 23:06:26 +0900

Recent Gnus may have a problem in handling nnrss data file names
unless encoded in us-ascii.  When I invoke Gnus by M-x gnus, Emacs
signals an error saying that it cannot find the data file.  I am
attaching a backtrace showing the problem.

I am also attaching a diff showing my workaround for the problem.
I am not quite sure if it may be called a right fix.

-- 
Tetsuo Tsukamoto

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.2 of 2011-08-14

--- nnrss.el.orig	2011-08-14 12:05:46.000000000 +0900
+++ nnrss.el	2011-08-23 17:05:37.000000000 +0900
@@ -363,12 +363,13 @@
 
 (deffoo nnrss-retrieve-groups (groups &optional server)
   (dolist (group groups)
+    (setq group (nnrss-decode-group-name group))
     (nnrss-possibly-change-group group server)
     (nnrss-check-group group server))
   (with-current-buffer nntp-server-buffer
     (erase-buffer)
     (dolist (group groups)
-      (let ((elem (assoc group nnrss-server-data)))
+      (let ((elem (assoc (gnus-group-decoded-name group) nnrss-server-data)))
 	(insert (format "%S %s 1 y\n" group (or (cadr elem) 0)))))
     'active))