Subject: Re: bug#9349: 24.0.50; Weird text in info buffer

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 13:44:49 +0200

Hi Eli,

>> Surprisingly, the search fails, even though the word exists in the
>> buffer (beginning of last paragraph).
>
> No, it doesn't.

>From an user POV, it does exist (the users is seeing it there).

>> If I move the cursor to that word and type `C-x =', I see:
>>
>> Char: * (42, #o52, #x2a, part of display "*Not..."->"See ")
>> point=123845 of 300271 (41%) <123062-124062> column=3
>
> This tells you that the "See" is a display string, and the real text
> in the buffer is "*Note".  The display string "covers" that text, and
> is therefore displayed in its stead.  See the node "Display Property"
> in the ELisp manual.  Set Info-hide-note-references to nil to see the
> real text.

Thanks for the explanation.  I guessed it would be something like that.

>> I don't understand want's going on here, but it seems undesirable to
>> see a word in the buffer and not be able to search for it.
>
> It's a feature.  I'm closing the bug.

Ok, but I guess you agree with me that the current behavior can be a
disconcerting for users, because the normally would want to work with
the text they _see_, and know nothing about display strings.

Anyway I understand it now, and I can live with it.  Thanks again.

-- 
Dani Moncayo