Subject: RE: bug#9341: 24.0.50; Bad return message from apropos buffer

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 07:09:08 -0700

> I now say "Type q in other window to quit".

Not too clear: quit what?

Not too helpful: the user needs to move to the other window first? I don't
recall ever seeing a message where we suggested that users perform a series of
actions like that: move to the other window (which one, BTW), and then hit `q'.

>  > In Emacs 23 you correctly see this message instead:
>  >
>  > "Type C-x 4 C-o RET to restore the other window, C-M-v to 
> scroll help."
> 
> This happens to be correct in the case at hand but is not necessarily
> correct when another buffer was displayed in that window before.

Whatever message we show should at least not be incorrect.  Whether it is
helpful or not is probably secondary to that.  A message that is helpful in most
of the typical contexts is perhaps better than no message, even if it is
unhelpful some of the time - as long as it is not too incorrect.

But I don't have a good suggestion.  I leave it to your judgment.