Subject: bug#9340: 24.0.50; bidi-mode: Void Function bidi-string-mark-left-to-right

From: Tim Cross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:02:10 +1000

When trying to exit emacs and having some processes still running so
that you get the prompt to kill processes and exit, the following
error occurs and you cannot exit emacs cleanly unless you first kill
all running processes. 

Error void-function bidi-string-mark-left-to-right

A simple way to reproduce this is to start a process and then try to
exit without ending that process. I used sql-mode to do this.

1. Start emacs
2. Ran sql-connect to connect to my database
3. Run C-x C-c to exit emacs

and got the following backtrace

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function bidi-string-mark-left-to-right)
  bidi-string-mark-left-to-right("SQL")
  tabulated-list-print-entry(#<process SQL> ["SQL" "run" ("*SQL*" face link help-echo "Visit buffer `*SQL*'" follow-link t process-buffer #<buffer *SQL*> action process-menu-visit-buffer) "/dev/pts/4" "sqlplus urs/ursdev@unedev"])
  apply(tabulated-list-print-entry (#<process SQL> ["SQL" "run" ("*SQL*" face link help-echo "Visit buffer `*SQL*'" follow-link t process-buffer #<buffer *SQL*> action process-menu-visit-buffer) "/dev/pts/4" "sqlplus urs/ursdev@unedev"]))
  tabulated-list-print()
  list-processes(t)
  save-buffers-kill-emacs(nil)
  save-buffers-kill-terminal(nil)
  call-interactively(save-buffers-kill-terminal nil nil)

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4)
 of 2011-08-18 on blind-mole
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11001000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr/local''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_AU.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x s q l - c o n n e c t <return> u r s d e v <return> 
C-x C-c C-x 5 2 <switch-frame> M-x r e p o r t <tab> 
<return>

Recent messages:
Loading /home/tcross/.emacs.d/org-clock-save.el (source)...done
Loading vc-git...done
Login...
Making sql-product local to *SQL* while let-bound!
Making sql-user local to *SQL* while let-bound!
Making sql-database local to *SQL* while let-bound!
Making sql-connection local to *SQL* while let-bound!
Login...done
(No files need saving)
Entering debugger...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader emacsbug
help-mode view debug vc-git imenu auctex-autoloads tex-site info package
tabulated-list jabber-console sgml-mode ewoc jabber-util jabber-keymap
saveplace org-w3m org-wl org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc
org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html format-spec org-info org-gnus org-bibtex
bibtex org-bbdb w3m-fb paren time server tx-jabber jabber-autoloads
tx-magit magit-svn magit diff-mode log-edit pcvs-util add-log
magit-key-mode tx-chrome edit-server edmacro kmacro tx-mew tx-fold
txutils browse-url tx-eudc eudcb-ldap eudc cus-edit cus-start cus-load
eudc-vars wid-edit ldap tx-plsql plsql-mode derived tx-sql sql thingatpt
tx-org org-clock org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks org-agenda org warnings
advice help-fns advice-preload ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint comint ring ob-keys ob ob-eval
org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-compat org-entities
org-macs noutline outline easy-mmode tx-mode-compile tc-w3m w3m-load
tc-timestamp tc-template tempo tc-diary appt cal-china lunar solar
cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs tc-browse-url tx-mail
vm-autoloads vm-version vm-vars bbdb-autoloads bbdb timezone smtpmail
auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp assoc
gnus-util password-cache sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils generic-x generic dired-aux dired-x easymenu dired
regexp-opt ls-lisp tx-emacspeak tx-paths time-date tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Tim Cross
Information Technology 
University of New England
 Phone: +61 2 6773 3210
Mobile: 0428 212217
   Fax: +61 2 6773 3424
E-Mail: [email-masked]
   Web: http://www.une.edu.au/itd
---
Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a
touch of genius (and a lot of courage) to move in the opposite direction.
                                                           —Albert Einstein