Subject: Re: bug#9336: 24.0.50; No way to input character #xbb4 using ta-itrans

From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 09:44:29 +0530

>> (Rationale: This is how it's usually mapped by a layman even outside of
>> ta-itrans)
>
> "zha" would be more appropriate.  Just to pick two contemporary names
> that have ழ in them, we have Azhagiri and Kanimozhi.

(For Kenichi's benefit) The two things that you have cited above are
Tamil people names.

Or 

Are you making the suggestion - "zha" - based on an actual itrans
implementation? Within Emacs, if I type - `zha' - I get `ழ்ஹ' and mapping
`ha' to `ஹ' seems very reasonable to me.

IMO, there seems to be some de-facto or normative standard on how
english sequences are mapped to tamil alphabets (or any given language?)
via itrans. In that case, there is nothing much Emacs can do but follow
the crowd.

I am a layman user, I don't have any prior experience with other
ta-itrans implementations and Kenichi is the expert here. I would be
perfectly OK with a less than perfect mapping as long as I get uniform
experience across a variety of systems (including Emacs).

Jambunathan K.