Subject: bug#933: In CVS Emacs, calc-eval gives multiplication higher precidence than division

From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 22:39:23 +0200

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> 
> On Sep 8, 2008, at 1:01 PM, Lennart Borgman wrote:
> 
>> On 9/8/08, Carsten Dominik <[email-masked]> > I would fight
>> for the current calc implementation, it is an important
>>> convenience when entering equations.  I am relying on it every day.
>>
>> Exactly how are you relying on that the current behaviour is the default?
> 
> 
> By typing algebraic equations into the minibuffer and saving tons of key
> strokes by leaving off parenthesis.  I often type equations like
> 
>  p = n k T / mu mp
> 
> and it saves me 4 key strokes to not having to type the parenthesis
> 
>  p = (n k T) / (mu mp)

Yes, sorry, I should not have asked like that. I get a little bit upset
that many people here accept defaults that can make it harder for
newbees just for a little bit convenience. (But I guess I am a bit
unfair. Someone more in favour of the view opposite to mine in this
question can surely put it more nicely.)

Of course I can see that the behaviour you want saves you a lot of key
strokes. My question is really about the default value. You can easily
change that, of course. The question is really if you prefer the old
default and in that case what arguments you want to present for that.