Subject: bug#9323: Non-recursive make build systems and M-x compile

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:22:06 +0100

On 19 August 2011 14:41, Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> That's great, but it's not documented for users (it's mentioned in
>> comments in lisp.el). How about adding something to compile's
>> docstring along the lines of:
>>
>> To launch a compilation in a directory other than that of the buffer,
>> prefix the compilation command with `cd ..;' or similar; compile will
>> parse this to set the default directory of the compile buffer.
>
> ??? That's exactly what "make -C ..." accomplishes.

That's right, but compile.el does not parse the directory out of a
"make -C .." command, leading to the problem I described above where
the paths listed in error & warning messages in the compile buffer are
not correct relative to the path of the compile buffer itself. On the
other hand, compile.el does understand the format "cd ..; make",
allowing it to set the path of the compile buffer correctly.

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org