Subject: Re: bug#9323: Non-recursive make build systems and M-x compile

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 13:17:10 +0100

On 19 August 2011 04:23, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> If I change the build command to make -C .., then Emacs gives errors
>> in the compile buffer pointing to files like "src/foo.c", but can't
>> follow those links, I presume because it considers the current dir for
>> the build to be "src".
>
> compile.el has ad-hoc support to try and recognize "cd ..; <foo>" and
> similar (with more dot-dots).

Thanks, so I just need to use a different compile command.

That's great, but it's not documented for users (it's mentioned in
comments in lisp.el). How about adding something to compile's
docstring along the lines of:

To launch a compilation in a directory other than that of the buffer,
prefix the compilation command with `cd ..;' or similar; compile will
parse this to set the default directory of the compile buffer.

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org