Subject: Linking static libs into shared libs on HP-UX

From: "Daniel Richard G." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 13:38:29 -0400

Hello,

I am building shared libraries on HP-UX using Libtool 2.4. A large part
of the code in these comes from static libraries (compiled in PIC mode)
specified via *_la_LIBADD in Automake.

This works perfectly on other platforms, but on HP-UX, Libtool
complains with

*** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive libfoo.la.
*** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.

and I end up with very small shared libraries that do not work.

However, if I edit the libtool script to set

    deplibs_check_method=pass_all

then the libraries are linked in without issue, and I get nice, large
shared libraries with no missing symbols.

This is the case for HP-UX on both PA-RISC and Itanium, using the HP
toolchain and linker. (I can provide specific version numbers on any of
these elements if needed.) I think the premise of "This system can not
link to static lib archive" needs to be revisited.

--Daniel

-- 
NAME = Daniel Richard G.     _\|/_    Remember, skunks
MAIL = [email-masked]     (/o|o\) _- don't smell bad---
MAIL+= [email-masked]   < (^),>     it's the people who
WWW  = (not there yet!)      /   \      annoy us that do!