Subject: Documentation addition: AC_SUBSTed variables do not work with LIBADD for dependency generation.

From: Krzesimir Nowak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:13:10 +0200

Package: automake
Version: 1.11.1

It would be useful to add a note to "8.4 Program and Library Variables"
part of Automake documentation that Automake's dependency generator does
not generate proper dependencies when maude_LIBADD have variables that
are AC_SUBSTed. In such case maude_DEPENDENCIES should be used
explicitly.

If this is a bug then please see an example in attached tarball. It
contains code for two simple libraries - hello and greeter. Greeter
depends on hello. There is a file greeter/greeter.am in which I have
written _LIBADD and _DEPENDENCIES in several ways - the first two tries
ends with linking error stating about nonexistent libhello.la. Please
also note that I used a nonrecursive Automake and Makefile.am includes
greeter.am first and then hello.am (so in a sort of reverse order). If
hello.am would be included first and then greeter.am - compilation then
usually passes when compiling it in single thread.

Compilation of this example: ./autogen.sh && make

If this is not a bug I am willing to provide a patch dor documentation.