Subject: Re: bug#9312: 24.0.50; smtpmail

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 20:46:53 -0400

emacs user wrote (on Wed, 24 Aug 2011 at 18:10 -0400):

> thanks for the response, please see attached.  apologies for replying
> only to you rather than the group, I couldn't be sure there is no
> private information/ passwords embedded in this output that I am
> attaching.

Fair enough. I am including the list again since I only quote a piece
of what you sent:

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)
>   =(nil 530)
>   (and auth-mechanisms (not ask-for-password) (= (car result) 530))

It looks like your smtp server returned something unexpected after
being presented with a "MAIL FROM" command. I made a change to handle
this a little better, but it still probably won't actually work.

The next step is probably to set smtpmail-debug-info non-nil, repeat
the error, and post the contents of the "*trace of SMTP ..." buffer;
perhaps just whatever the server responds after the "MAIL FROM"
command.