Subject: bug#9311: closed (Re: bug#9311: 23.3.50; Can't load some byte-compiled files on Windows)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 08:59:02 +0000

Your bug report

#9311: 23.3.50; Can't load some byte-compiled files on Windows

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
9311: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9311
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#9311: 23.3.50; Can't load some byte-compiled files on Windows
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Kazuhiro Ito <[email-masked]>, Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 11:55:22 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:24:43 +0900
> From: Kazuhiro Ito <[email-masked]>
> 
> I wrote c:/test.el as below and byte-compiled it.
> 
> (defun test ()
>   (let ((l 1))
>     (dotimes (i 100)
>       nil)))
> 
> When I load it by load function with absolute path as below, I can't
> load it and below message is displayed.  But it doesn't raise error.
> 
> (load "c:/test")
> -> End of file during parsing: c:/test.elc

This happens because Emacs thinks this file is remote.  It is almost a
duplicate of bug#5303, except that 5303 talked about files without an
extension, while this one is specific to .elc files.

I fixed this in revision 105479 on the trunk, by handling the DOS_NT
specific situation where `openp' returns -2, but there's no `load'
handler for the file.

Subject: 23.3.50; Can't load some byte-compiled files on Windows
From: Kazuhiro Ito <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:24:43 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I wrote c:/test.el as below and byte-compiled it.

(defun test ()
  (let ((l 1))
    (dotimes (i 100)
      nil)))

When I load it by load function with absolute path as below, I can't
load it and below message is displayed.  But it doesn't raise error.

(load "c:/test")
-> End of file during parsing: c:/test.elc

It doesn't occur with relative path from home directory or Linux
environment.  I confirmed it occurs with Windows environment and
absolute path, and it depends on the content of .el file (i.e. not all
.elc files can't be read).  It also occurs with pre-compiled binary
(*1).

(*1) http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-23.3-bin-i386.zip

-- 
Kazuhiro Ito