Subject: bug#9311: 23.3.50; Can't load some byte-compiled files on Windows

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 11:56:18 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Eli did suggest to remove this hack from Tramp, and to see during the
>> test where the unexpected volume letter prefix happens. Problems shall
>> be fixed there.
>
> Sounds good.  We should fix it right instead of using the current workaround.

I've committed the patch (slightly polished, as said). Let's see how it
goes on. I cannot test anything myself, I don't use Windows machines.

> Shouldn't tramp-drop-volume-letter disappear completely?

Unfortunately, not. In tramp-*-handle-expand-file-name, expand-file-name
is called for the local part of a remote file name in order to handle
"./" and "../". On Windows, this prefixes the result with the volume
letter, which must be removed afterwards.

>         Stefan
>
> PS: by the way, here's a tiny informational patch about common
> subexpression elimination and about how to silence the compiler
> without a hack.

Thanks, applied.

Best regards, Michael.