Subject: bug#931: 23.0.60; Bug in bytecomp.el: displaying warnings

From: "Richard M. Stallman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:46:46 -0400

>     I suppose the byte-compiler should either refrain from using
     >     `display-warning'
     >
     > That would be very drastic and cause a lot of inconvenience
     > in the normal situation where there is no bug!

    I obviously meant use something different instead of `display-warning'.

`display-warning' was made for uses like this.  If what it does now is
not right in some circumstances, we should change it to do something
better.  Whatever is the right thing to do for these messages,
`display-warning' should do it.

     > The solution that occurs to me is that `display-warning' should
     > bind `pop-up-windows' to t in that case.

    This would (1) ignore a user preference

That is a general preference.  There is no need to be rigid about it
in a special case where it leads to clearly undesirable behavior.

					    and (2) not work when the window
    can't be split for some reason.

That is true.  Fortunately such cases are rare.  `display-warning'
could do something special for those cases.  Perhaps just mention in
the echo area that there are warnings.