Subject: emacsclient -n -c path/to/file # opens *scratch*

From: Stefan Klinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 17:25:41 +0200

Hello,

I'm having a problem with newly created frames when running ‘emacsclient -c
path/to/file’: If there is already a frame showing the file, a new frame is
created (as intended) but it displays a *scratch* buffer, instead of the already
existing buffer for that file.

Expecting a configuration problem, I have recently posted this on help-gnu-emacs
[1], but received no reply.

-- Reproduce --

It's not my fault:

  killall -9 emacs
  rm -rf ~/.emacs.d/
  
Now request first frame and start emacs daemon, works as expected (well, almost:
I'd prever emacs not to assign focus to the new frame, but that can be
configured away [2]).

  emacsclient -n -a '' -c ~/.bashrc

Now, as long as the frame showing ‘~/.bashrc’ is visible (potentially on another
desktop), the following three commands each open a new frame, each of them
showing *scratch*:
  
  emacsclient -n -a '' -c ~/.bashrc
  emacsclient -n -c ~/.bashrc
  emacsclient -c ~/.bashrc

When there's no frame showing ‘~/.bashrc’, then each of the above creates a new
frame showing the existing buffer.

-- Expected bahavior --

Check whether there is a buffer visiting test. If so, show that buffer in the
new frame. Otherwise, visit the file in a new buffer and display that one.

-- Information --

‘emacs-version’ reports “GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d
scroll bars) of 2011-04-10 on brahms, modified by Debian”

Actually I still assume this could be configured, but on help-gnu-emacs, nobody seems to know [1].

Thank you!
Stefan

____________________
[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2011-08/msg00056.html
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emacs23/+bug/589035/comments/2

-- 
Stefan Klinger                                      o/klettern
                                                    /\/  bis zum
send plaintext only - max size 32kB - no spam         \   Abfallen
http://stefan-klinger.de