Subject: bug#9305: emacsclient -n -c path/to/file # opens *scratch*

From: Stefan Klinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 15:58:36 +0100

Hello,

and thank you very much for looking into this!

On 2012-Nov-04 11:12 (+0800), Chong Yidong wrote with possible deletions:
> Does this problem still occur for you?  I haven't been able to reproduce
> it.  If so, please provide your Emacs version and platform (all the
> information which would normally be provided with M-x report-emacs-bug).

Unfortunately yes, the problem still persists:

Experiment 1:

    killall -9 emacs
    rm -rf ~/.emacs.d/

    emacsclient -n -a '' -c ~/.bashrc  # first call
    emacsclient -n -a '' -c ~/.bashrc  # second call

The first call starts emacs showing ~/.bashrc.  But the second call
creates a new frame showing *scratch*, and then focuses the other frame
showing ~/.bashrc.  Expected bahavior: Open new frame on current
desktop, showing the buffer visiting ~/.bashrc.

Experiment 2:

    killall -9 emacs
    rm -rf ~/.emacs.d/
    emacsclient -n -a '' -c ~/.bashrc  # first call
    # delete the window using the winidow manager
    emacsclient -n -a '' -c ~/.bashrc  # second call

Good, the second call created a new frame showing the requested file.

Experiment 3:

    killall -9 emacs
    rm -rf ~/.emacs.d/
    emacsclient -n -a '' -c ~/.bashrc  # first call
    # iconify window
    emacsclient -n -a '' -c ~/.bashrc  # second call

Bad: Deiconifies existing window, but also creates a new frame showing
*scratch*, which is unexpected.

Here's the requested information.  Please ask if you need any further
information...

In GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2012-09-08 on trouble, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11204000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs23:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=lucid' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--without-gconf' 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall -DDEBIAN -O2' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x <help-echo> <down-mouse-2> <mouse-2> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-default.el (source)...done
Loading debian-ispell...done
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-dicts.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50haskell-mode.el (source)...
Loading haskell-site-file...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50haskell-mode.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50psvn.el (source)...done
Starting Emacs daemon.
When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/textmodes/flyspell

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail regexp-opt ecomplete rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader
gnus-util netrc time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit
mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug server
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind font-render-setting x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Stefan Klinger                                      o/klettern
                                                    /\/  bis zum
send plaintext only - max size 32kB - no spam         \   Abfallen
http://stefan-klinger.de