Subject: bug#9302: nmail-extra-headers too mysterious

From: Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 04:02:00 -0400

on Sat Sep 10 2011, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:

>> Interesting... now *that* would make an informative error message!  How
>> about changing it to something based on what you wrote above?
>
> It's too long.  I think the current message is a clear enough hint what
> you have to twiddle if you want that functionality.

"What to twiddle" is perfectly clear, but "what functionality generated
the message" isn't.  My point is that:

* We have a command `gnus-summary-limit-to-address' that won't function
  correctly in Gnus' default configuration

* It generates a warning about a variable whose connection to the
  problem is non-obvious from its documentation

  (BTW, what's the difference between gnus-extra-headers and
  nnmail-extra-headers?)

* The warning is easy to miss

I feel like I just got lucky and noticed that my configuration was
wrong, but wasn't given the tools to understand how the configuration
should have been set up to begin with.  Shouldn't `/ A' check to see
whether `Cc:' has been parsed and ask whether I want to add it to
`nnmail-extra-headers'?

-- 
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com