Subject: bug#9301: dired-sort-toggle-or-edit should also mention -o and -g

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 17:50:45 +0200

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> This is still not a good idea.  How is -g special wrt. to the options
>> that may imply -l?  The requirement that the options should include -l
>> is simple and does not need any amendment.
>
> Because saying "include -l" sounds like you really need to have the
> full, complete "-l" output, and then it turns out that you don't, which
> makes me happy, because I hate the full "-l" output in dired buffers.
> :-)

There is nothing that prevents you from using any additional options.

> Perhaps the string should be more wishy-washy?  "must be a sort-of full
> listing, like -l or the like"?  Too long, though.

Exactly.  Saying "(must include -l)" is simple and clear, and fully
correct.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."