Subject: Re: bug#9296: 24.0.50; next-line/prev-line on lines with images

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 22:33:22 +0300

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 19:00:28 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Thanks for the test case.  This problem exists in Emacs 23 as well, so
> > it's not new.  I suggest to file a separate bug for it.  For now,
> > being not worse than Emacs 23.3 is good enough for me.
> 
> Hm.  Are you sure?

Yes.  I've tested with Emacs 23.3 before sending that message.

> I haven't seen this behaviour before, I think, and it's odd that I
> haven't noticed, since I'm using images heavily in several modes...

Which behavior are you talking about?  The one that still exists with
the current trunk, or the one I fixed today?

> > In general, the DWIM-ish operation of next/previous-line, especially
> > its ideas of what exactly is the goal column, is darn hard to get
> > right, and it certainly has its surprises.  If you look at the
> > convoluted code in move_it_in_display_line_to, you will understand
> > why.
> 
> Perhaps it has something to do with the default change for the
> visible/logical next-line movement thing which I can never remember
> what's called?

No, it was always convoluted.  No matter whether visual-line-mode is
on or off.