Subject: bug#9293: say what they are shadowed by

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2020 15:22:12 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> [email-masked] writes:
>
> >    Tar mode defined in `tar-mode.el':...
> >    0 .. 9             digit-argument  (binding currently shadowed)
> >
> > Shadowed by what?
> >
> >    e .. f             tar-extract  (binding currently shadowed)
>
> [...]
>
> > Say what mode on each of such lines!
>
> This was eight years ago -- has this been fixed in the meantime?

Nope.

> If not -- what are the steps to reproduce this bug?  I'm not getting any
> shadowed bindings.

I am working on the branch scratch/substitute-command-keys to replace
s-c-k with a Lisp version, but I have not had much time lately so
there has been no progress in a couple of months. I can't remember the
current status, but I think there may be some tests for this there. Or
I didn't get to that yet, sorry, I can't remember now.

I hope that this would be easier to fix once we have the Lisp version
of s-c-k (and I would personally prefer not to see any changes to the
C version meanwhile ;-)).

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas