Subject: bug#9280: closed (Re: bug#9280: 24.0.50; default value of epa-file-select-keys should be nil)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 14:10:03 +0000

Your bug report

#9280: 24.0.50; default value of epa-file-select-keys should be nil

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
9280: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9280
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#9280: 24.0.50; default value of epa-file-select-keys should be nil
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 10:08:14 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>>> I disagree with this change of the default value of
>>> epa-file-select-keys in the sense that I find the current "silent"
>>> default behavior too brief for unexperienced users (like myself
>>> until recently).
>> I tend to agree.
> IIRC, they supported the change because at that time Gnus needed to
> repeatedly decrypt ~/.authinfo.gpg.  However, now ~/.authinfo (not .gpg)
> is the default (yes, #9113 is another issue) and maybe it would be safe
> to change the default value of epa-file-select-keys back to nil.

I just changed it back to nil.

        Stefan

Subject: 24.0.50; default value of epa-file-select-keys should be nil
From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, Daiki Ueno <[email-masked]>, Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 01:31:08 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Recently I filed bug report #9112 saying that I could not create new
gpg-encrypted files anymore the way I was expecting it from emacs
23, namely with a key selection UI. I learned from Daiki that this
is due to a change of the default value of epa-file-select-keys from
nil to 'silent in Emacs 24, which means symmetric encryption is now
the default. This followed discussions mostly by Daiki, Ted, and Lars.

I disagree with this change of the default value of
epa-file-select-keys in the sense that I find the current "silent"
default behavior too brief for unexperienced users (like myself
until recently). Part of the problem is that for symmetric
encryption gpg will simply pop up a pinentry window saying "enter
passphrase". But nothing tells the user that the file he or she
wants to save is just about to go through symmetric encryption (and
not any other encryption mechanism the user might hope for). Yet any
misunderstanding concerning the encryption mechanism could imply
that a file is essentially lost after saving.

We cannot change easily the brief behavior of the pinentry window.
So I request that the default of epa-file-select-keys should go back
to nil which provides a key selection UI so that the user gets some
ideas what the options are.

Ted, Lars, and also I myself, we can always customize things to make
the behavior more brief and geared towards our personal needs. But
making the brief behavior the default, assuming that the average
user understands all these things, in my opinion is asking for
trouble and confusion.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2011-07-16 on regnitz