Subject: Re: bug#9280: 24.0.50; default value of epa-file-select-keys should be nil

From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 21:05:29 -0500

On Fri Aug 12 2011 Daiki Ueno wrote:
> IIRC, they supported the change because at that time Gnus needed to
> repeatedly decrypt ~/.authinfo.gpg.  However, now ~/.authinfo (not .gpg)
> is the default (yes, #9113 is another issue) and maybe it would be safe
> to change the default value of epa-file-select-keys back to nil.

In a way, I am a bit surprised about the rationale for these changes.

- the default value of epa-file-select-keys was changed because of
  ~/.authinfo.gpg. But obviously this change affects many completely
  unrelated situations, too.

- Now the value of epa-file-select-keys is not a problem anymore
  because ~/.authinfo.gpg by default got renamed to ~/.authinfo,
  which is causing new problems, see #9113. 

It seems to me that here only symptoms are treated in a way that
cause all kinds of new problems. -- I do not fully understand what
motivated these changes in the first place. Yet it appears to me
that it might be necessary to seek a proper solution in a different
way.

Roland