Subject: Re: bug#9248: 23.2; Welcome screen

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 22:38:56 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > There is very important political information on that screen about
  > user freedom, GNU and the FSF.  Yes.  But this way of showing it to
  > users is too intrusive.  We win the fight against proprietary software
  > also by providing the best possible user experience.

We don't win anything for our cause if the users of our software
don't know what the cause is.

It used to be that people could easily use Emacs for years and
never have the faintest idea what we are fighting for.  Emacs
displayed this information only in circumstances which they never saw.
When I discovered that, I changed it to present that information in
more circumstances, so that all users would see it.

If it is slightly annoying to see this information when you already
know it, consider that that is a rather small sacrifice to make for
the cause of freedom.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)