Subject: Re: bug#9248: 23.2; Welcome screen

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 17:40:04 +0100

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> I agree that this should be changed.  I expect a splash screen to be
> shown only when I run a command without specifying any particular
> file.  IME, this is what most other software does, and I see no reason
> why Emacs should be different.

Catching up on emacs-devel, there is a thread on this particular
issue... where Stefan Monnier points to the "Dismiss this startup
screen" button.  That button quits the window and customizes
inhibit-startup-window to t.  This code seems to have been introduced
in 2007 by Chong Yidong (commit 22a58255).

Of course, I have never seen that button over the years.  I find that
your brain learns to filter out splash screens completely after a
while, which incidentally makes displaying them more often
counter-productive.

So, I don't think this changes my previous argument, but it does make
any need to change it less pressing.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas