Subject: Re: Scrolling bug with word-wrap in emacs -nw

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 19:22:09 +0200

> From: Antoine Levitt <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 18:04:03 +0100
> 
> >  -- Variable: window-scroll-functions
> >      [...]
> >      *Warning:* don't use this feature to alter the way the window is
> >      scrolled.  It's not designed for that, and such use probably won't
> >      work.
> >
> > But erc does precisely that which the manual says not to do.  It
> > shouldn't.
> >
> > Incidentally, all this trickery is no longer needed with Emacs 24:
> > just setting scroll-conservatively to a value larger than 100 will do
> > the job nicely and without any problems.
> 
> So, should erc-scrollbottom be changed?

Definitely.  It shouldn't use window-scroll-functions.

> Only using scroll-conservatively instead of erc-scrolltobottom has a few
> disadvantages. erc-scrolltobottom has the advantage that one can never
> see past the end of a buffer, similar to other IRC clients (and indeed,
> text editors). With scroll-conservatively, if a window has say 2/3 the
> height of the buffer, scrolling up and down results in one seeing the
> bottom of the buffer around the middle of the window.

Only if you scroll by scroll bar or by C-v with a numeric argument.
Just typing will never get you past the buffer end (obviously).

> Actually, this is a behavior I'd like for emacs as a whole, to make it
> behave more like other editors that never display anything past the end
> of text. Is there any way to do it, some other variable one could set in
> addition to scroll-conservatively?

Maybe, I don't know.