Subject: Re: 24.0.50; Server put offline without any prompt

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 01:43:33 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> Occasionally an NNTP (or IMAP) server refuses to answer.  In Emacs-23,
> Gnus then prompted me something like "Unable to open server foo, go offline? "
>
> In Emacs-24, this has disappeared at the server is just marked offline
> silently (maybe there's a warning message, but if so I never get to
> notice it).

Yes, it's marked "denied" if you can't open it.

> Can the prompting be re-introduced, please?

No, the go-offline thing didn't make any sense in most situations.  The
offline/online thing is a global Gnus thing, and if (say) your IMAP
connection to Gmail fails, it makes no sense to put Gnus offline with
respect to the other servers.

So I think the current behaviour makes the most sense.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/