Subject: Re: bug#9244: 24.0.50; Server put offline without any prompt

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:28:23 -0600

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 18:48:13 +0100 Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote: 

LI> Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Maybe errored-offline / errored-denied groups could get 2 special faces
>> in the group buffer?  That would give a visual indication without
>> necessarily interrupting the user.
>> 
>> I think strike-through would be a perfect visual emphasis for this.

LI> One of the reasons for having the Agent at all is that you're supposed
LI> to be able to read the groups if the server is down.  (Or, as in the
LI> example, you typed the wrong password.)

LI> So I think what Gnus does here is what it's supposed to, but I agree
LI> with Ted's suggestion of marking the groups that are from servers that
LI> Gnus thinks are down specially.

LI> Strike-through is kinda intrusive, though.  Something a bit more subtle
LI> would be nice...  or perhaps just a mark at the beginning of the line,
LI> like what we do with non-Agented groups from servers that are down.

As long as it's a face that can be customized, and which inherits from
the normal group face...  I don't think a separate indicator is a good
idea.

Ted