Subject: bug#9244: 24.0.50; Server put offline without any prompt

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:54:54 -0600

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 19:31:34 -0500 Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote: 

>>> However, if you have a Gnus with ten different sources, some of them
>>> will fail, and being prompted here is just annoying.  Gnus will list
>>> failed groups specially in the group buffer, and you can `M-g' them to
>>> force a reconnect.  I think that model makes more sense, overall.
>> So I don't think this is a bug, and I'm closing this report.

SM> No, I don't think you realize the extent of the problem.
SM> Failed groups do not show up specially in my experience (maybe they do
SM> on the first connection, but for long-lived Gnus sessions this is
SM> irrelevant).

SM> Here's another take on the problem:
SM> Start "emacs -f gnus" with a setup that uses IMAP.
SM> Then when prompted for your IMAP password, type in a wrong password.
SM> Result: Gnus just keeps on going, treating the server as "offline".

Maybe errored-offline / errored-denied groups could get 2 special faces
in the group buffer?  That would give a visual indication without
necessarily interrupting the user.

I think strike-through would be a perfect visual emphasis for this.

Ted