Subject: bug#9244: 24.0.50; Server put offline without any prompt

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 17:20:24 -0400

Package: emacs,gnus

Occasionally an NNTP (or IMAP) server refuses to answer.  In Emacs-23,
Gnus then prompted me something like "Unable to open server foo, go offline? "

In Emacs-24, this has disappeared at the server is just marked offline
silently (maybe there's a warning message, but if so I never get to
notice it).

Grepping for "go offline" in Gnus, I see that the code that did the
prompting in Emacs-23 was in gnus-int.el but has been removed, although
there is still a comment that refers to it:

% grep 'go offline' emacs-23/lisp/gnus/*.el trunk/lisp/gnus/*.el
emacs-23/lisp/gnus/gnus-int.el:                          "Unable to open server %s, go offline? "
emacs-23/lisp/gnus/gnus-int.el:              ;; prompting with "go offline?".  This is only a concern
trunk/lisp/gnus/gnus-int.el:              ;; prompting with "go offline?".  This is only a concern
%

Can the prompting be re-introduced, please?

        Stefan

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4)
 of 2011-08-03 on ceviche
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11002000
configured using `configure  'CFLAGS=-Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -DUSE_LISP_UNION_TYPE -DSYNC_INPUT -DENABLE_CHECKING -DXASSERTS -DFONTSET_DEBUG -g -O0 -I/usr/include/GNUstep''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Server

Minor modes in effect:
  electric-pair-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<return> n <switch-frame> ^ <down> <down> <down> C 
<up> O M-x r e p o r t - e m - b u <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
nnimap read 29k [211 times]
nnimap read 33k [597 times]
nnimap read 34k [4 times]
nnimap read 38k [87 times]
nnimap read 39k [3 times]
nnimap read 42k [483 times]
Opening nntp server on gmane...done
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done
Warning: Unable to open server nntp+news due to: Server closed connection

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug nnfolder nndraft nnmh utf-7 rfc2104
gnutls network-stream starttls nnimap parse-time tls utf7 netrc nnagent
nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap
nntp gnus-cache nnir gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail
mail-source warnings server gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils wid-edit noutline
outline easy-mmode flyspell ispell eldoc checkdoc regexp-opt thingatpt
help-mode view load-dir electric url-handlers url-parse auth-source
eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp assoc gnus-util
password-cache url-vars mm-util mail-prsvr reveal autoinsert uniquify
advice help-fns advice-preload savehist minibuf-eldef disp-table cl
all-autoloads company-autoloads debbugs-autoloads epoch-view-autoloads
js2-mode-autoloads load-dir-autoloads markchars-autoloads
minimap-autoloads muse-autoloads info easymenu rainbow-mode-autoloads
register-list-autoloads sisu-mode-autoloads uni-confusables-autoloads
windresize-autoloads package tabulated-list proof-site proof-autoloads
pg-vars bbdb-autoloads agda2 time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)