Subject: bug#9244: 24.0.50; Server put offline without any prompt

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 21:29:32 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Yes, it's marked "denied" if you can't open it.
>
> It's set to `offline' here, not `denied'.

Oops.  Yeah, that's true.  I was thinking of non-agented groups, which
gets `denied' in the same situation.

>>> Can the prompting be re-introduced, please?
>> No, the go-offline thing didn't make any sense in most situations.  The
>> offline/online thing is a global Gnus thing, and if (say) your IMAP
>> connection to Gmail fails, it makes no sense to put Gnus offline with
>> respect to the other servers.
>
> I totally agree and that's indeed the problem I have: Gnus does put my
> IMAP connection in `offline' state where it shouldn't.
>
> Actually for me the prompt made a lot of sense: sometimes the connection
> failure was really just transient and I want Gnus to re-try connecting,
> whereas at other times the connection fails for good reasons (e.g. it's
> a server that I can only access from some places and not from others, or
> only when the VPN is activated, or it is down for maintenance, ...) and
> I want to mark it offline so it doesn't prevent me from accessing
> other servers.

The prompting drove me crazy, because it would trigger in the middle of
doing, well, anything, like batch-sending emails.

But I could add an option to enable people to get the prompt if they
want to?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/