Subject: Re: bug#9243: 24.0.50; Gnus keeps seeing 101 unread spam

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 02:39:57 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> - seen messages re-appearing as unseen (presumably because the imap
>   connection died during the "group exit").

That should probably be unrelated to the Agent, and won't be fixed
during this development cycle.  To fix this properly, Gnus would have to
maintain a transaction log (on disk) and update the IMAP server in a
"transactional" manner, instead of (as it does now) just sending the
data to the server on Group exit.

> - old&seen messages that refuse to appear (they don't show up in the
>   Summary, tho if I disable the Agent and try again, they show up just
>   fine).
> - different independent machines have different ideas about the number
>   of unseen messages in a given IMAP folder.

Hm...

> - not sure if it's related, but exiting a group/folder takes forever
>   (apparently because I ask Gnus to do expiration at that time).

Some IMAP servers are really, really slow at doing expunging on big
folders.  They basically keep all the messages in one big file, and they
have to rewrite the entire file to delete a message, if I understand
correctly.

Does setting `nnimap-expunge' to nil make exit fast?  In that case,
that's the problem, and if not, I can try do debug...

> - not sure if it's related, but "B m" to move stuff from a group/folder
>   to another takes *ages* (as in several minutes), and I think most of
>   this time is spent in Gnus trying to update its idea of the content of
>   the destination group (after the actual move took place).

Huh.  Hm...  Actually, can you try the `nnimap-expunge' setting for
this, too?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/