Subject: bug#9243: 24.0.50; Gnus keeps seeing 101 unread spam

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 20:05:09 -0500

> Is there anything in particular one does to make the Agent misbehave?

I wish I knew.  I see various occasional problems, but I don't know how
to reproduce them.  Just for information, here's the kind of problems
I see:
- seen messages re-appearing as unseen (presumably because the imap
  connection died during the "group exit").
- old&seen messages that refuse to appear (they don't show up in the
  Summary, tho if I disable the Agent and try again, they show up just
  fine).
- different independent machines have different ideas about the number
  of unseen messages in a given IMAP folder.
- not sure if it's related, but exiting a group/folder takes forever
  (apparently because I ask Gnus to do expiration at that time).
- not sure if it's related, but "B m" to move stuff from a group/folder
  to another takes *ages* (as in several minutes), and I think most of
  this time is spent in Gnus trying to update its idea of the content of
  the destination group (after the actual move took place).
I've already been tempted to setup offlineimap to work around these
problems (after all, having a complete local copy of my mailbox(es)
would be great), but I keep hoping that it will get fixed soon.

        Stefan