Subject: bug#9241: Gnus dynamic "Date:" should not update every second

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 13:14:42 -0400

,gnusThe dynamic update of relative time on the "Date:" line in the article
buffer is annoying.  Mentioning seconds is largely pointless, and
updating every second is a real problem (e.g. it keeps Emacs busy,
preventing it from being swapped out).  It even occasionally causes
the display to "flicker" because at times the "Date:" line needs
wrapping and at times it doesn't.

I'd be happy to turn off the "feature" altogether, but at least by
default the updates should not take place every second.  If some user
really likes it, then feel free to keep it as an option
"gnus-update-date-obnoxiously", and maybe even provide a sub-second
version "gnus-update-date-for-masochistic-epileptics", of course.

        Stefan

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2011-08-03 on ceviche
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11002000
configured using `configure  'CFLAGS=-Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -DUSE_LISP_UNION_TYPE -DSYNC_INPUT -DENABLE_CHECKING -DXASSERTS -DFONTSET_DEBUG -g -O1 -I/usr/include/GNUstep' '--enable-maintainer-mode' '--with-x-toolkit=lucid''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<return> n <down> M-x r e p o - e m a <tab> <M-backspace> 
<M-backspace> g n <tab> <backspace> <backspace> e m 
- b u <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
nnimap read 26k [127 times]
nnimap read 30k [227 times]
nnimap read 34k [657 times]
nnimap read 35k [4 times]
nnimap read 40k [99 times]
nnimap read 43k [484 times]
nnimap read 44k [4 times]
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done
Warning: Unable to open server nntp+news due to: Server closed connection

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug nndraft nnmh rfc2104 gnutls
network-stream starttls nnimap parse-time tls utf7 netrc executable
copyright nnagent nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime
smime dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache nnir gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group
gnus-undo nnmail mail-source server gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils wid-edit
noutline outline easy-mmode flyspell ispell eldoc checkdoc regexp-opt
thingatpt help-mode view prog-mode load-dir electric url-handlers
url-parse auth-source warnings eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cconv macroexp assoc gnus-util password-cache url-vars mm-util
mail-prsvr reveal autoinsert uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload
time-date savehist minibuf-eldef disp-table cl cl-loaddefs all-autoloads
company-autoloads debbugs-autoloads epoch-view-autoloads
js2-mode-autoloads load-dir-autoloads markchars-autoloads
minimap-autoloads muse-autoloads info easymenu rainbow-mode-autoloads
register-list-autoloads sisu-mode-autoloads uni-confusables-autoloads
windresize-autoloads package tabulated-list proof-site proof-autoloads
pg-vars bbdb-autoloads agda2 tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register
page newcomment menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)