Subject: bug#9209: closed (Re: bug#9209: bidi slowdown)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 02:58:02 +0000

Your bug report

#9209: bidi slowdown

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
9209: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9209
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#9209: bidi slowdown
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: emacs user <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 05:56:12 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 18:58:57 -0600
> From: emacs user <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> sorry for the delay.  when using the version of vm suggested by Uday,
> the slowness is gone and things work fine (thanks Uday!).  if I do
> describe variable in the summary buffer I get:
> 
> bidi-paragraph-direction is a variable defined in `C source code'.
> Its value is left-to-right
> Local in buffer RMAIL Summary; global value is nil

Thanks.  So I'm hereby closing this bug report.

> BTW, bidi in emacs is an absolutely wonderful addition, thanks for
> doing this...!  cheers, E

Thank you.

Subject: bidi slowdown
From: emacs user <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 22:35:25 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

when using vm, I still see significant slowdowns in cursor motion in
the vm-summary buffer when bidi is on.  this is with a 3000+ lines
long buffer with the summary of the messages in the inbox.  please let
me know if there is any additional information I can provide.

2011-07-22  Eli Zaretskii

	Fix a significant slow-down of cursor motion with C-n, C-p,
	C-f/C-b, and C-v/M-v that couldn't keep up with keyboard
	auto-repeat under bidi redisplay in fontified buffers.

2011-07-28  Eli Zaretskii

	* buffer.c (init_buffer_once): Set bidi-display-reordering to t by
	default.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin11.0.0, NS apple-appkit-1138.00)
 of 2011-07-29 on dhcp-10-249-70-250.xx.edu
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1138
configured using `configure  '--with-ns' '--without-x''