Subject: bug#9197: closed (Re: 24.0.50; Visiting a remote file in one server, when default directory is in another one)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 15:55:02 +0000

Your bug report

#9197: 24.0.50; Visiting a remote file in one server, when default directory is in another one

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
9197: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9197
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: 24.0.50; Visiting a remote file in one server, when default directory is in another one
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 17:54:34 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Dani,

> Maybe the explanation of "ignored chunks in find-file input" in node
> [1] should be generalized to take remote files into account, or at
> least add some link to node [3].

I have added a link.

> Anyway, I now understand the current behavior, and you can close this
> bug report.

Done.

> Thanks.

Thanks for reporting, and best regards, Michael.

Subject: 24.0.50; Visiting a remote file in one server, when default directory is in another one
From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:56:11 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Recipe from "emacs -Q":

1. Change the current buffer's default directory to some path in
"host-a": M-x cd <RET> /user-a@host-a:/dir-a <RET>.
2. Try to visit some (existing) file in host-b: C-x C-f
/user-b@host-b:/path-to-some-file <RET>.

Note that, in step #2, just before hitting <RET>, the contents of the
minibuffer are:
   /user-a@host-a:/dir-a//user-b@host-b:/path-to-some-file

Expected behavior: the file "/path-to-some-file" (from "host-b") is visited.

Observed behavior: an error occurs, because Emacs tried to visit a
(nonexistent) file in "host-a", whose path is
"/user-b@host-b:/path-to-some-file".

Note also a different but related problem: the highlighting of the
minibuffer text is consistent with the current behavior (only the
"/dir-a/" part is in gray color).  Thus, this should be fixed too, to
make it consistent with the right behavior. I.e., in this example, the
part in gray should be "/user-a@host-a:/dir-a/".

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-07-25 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt'

-- 
Dani Moncayo