Subject: 24.0.50; Alpha transparency no longer works

From: Luka Novsak <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 22:41:09 +0200

My last build of emacs from source checked out of the trunk on
2011-07-21 broke transparency. My former build was several weeks old, so
can't say how old this is exactly.

Starting from emacs -Q I do (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'alpha
'(90 90)), which should(?) work, but doesn't anymore.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4)
 of 2011-07-21 on killer
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11002902
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.utf8
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-log-mode: t
  erc-truncate-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  global-subword-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  erc-highlight-nicknames-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  nxhtml-menu-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Checking 87 files in /usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/calc...
Checking 65 files in /usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/obsolete...
Checking 1 files in /usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/leim...
Checking for load-path shadows...done
GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4) of 2011-07-21 on killer
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only
Auto-saving...done
Mark set [2 times]
Quit
Message modified; kill anyway? (y or n)  y

Load-path shadows:
/home/luka/.emacs.d/nxhtml/tests/ert hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/ert

Features:
(shadow sort fortune mail-extr message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
emacsbug ind-util sh-script executable image-mode tramp-sh shell
tramp-cache help-mode view compile nxml-uchnm rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok
conf-mode newcomment iso-transl org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe
org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp
org-exp-blocks org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex org-bbdb
org-habit org-agenda tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs multi-isearch
network-stream auth-source eieio password-cache starttls tls erc-menu
erc-join erc-ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete erc-track erc-match
erc-netsplit erc-log erc-truncate eldoc server paren icomplete subword
slime-repl my-look color-theme-subdued color-theme-less
color-theme-hober2 color-theme-gruber-darker color-theme-arjen-new
color-theme sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums reporter my-ruby
my-python my-php php-mode add-log etags cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe assoc my-org org warnings ob-emacs-lisp
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys
ob ob-eval org-complete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-compat
org-entities org-macs noutline outline cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
my-gnus gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
my-erc erc-highlight-nicknames erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp wid-edit
erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat format-spec slime byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp derived apropos hideshow easymenu
pp comint ring hyperspec thingatpt browse-url idomenu imenu ido
clojure-mode regexp-opt android-mode easy-mmode edmacro kmacro cl
flymake-files advice help-fns advice-preload flymakemsg nxhtml-autostart
nxhtml-autoload majmodpri vc-git nxhtml-menu web-autoload nxhtml-base
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Luka Novsak

Wagner's music is better than it sounds.
		-- Mark Twain