Subject: bug#9171: 23.2; revert-buffer ignores revert-without-query

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 04:02:14 -0500

Steve Throckmorton wrote:

> I set 'revert-without-query' to (".+") so that every file name would
> match.  However, revert-buffer ignored this and continued to confirm
> reversion (unless the buffer had not been modified, as testing later
> revealed).

Sorry for the long delay.

This is the documented behaviour of revert-without-query.

   If the file name matches one of these regular expressions,
   then `revert-buffer' reverts the file without querying
   if the file has changed on disk and you have not edited the buffer.
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You could use

M-: (revert-buffer nil t)

(or a wrapper for that) if you really don't want to be asked, ever.

> I'm not sure why the test for buffer-modified is combined with the
> test against revert-without-query.  It seems to make it difficult to
> get a sensible combination of behaviors.