Subject: bug#9148: Make `comment-normalize-vars' more syntax-aware

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 22:39:50 +0100

On Thu, 27 Jan 2022 18:57:09 +0100
Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Suggested solution:
>> -------------------
>>
>> Modify `comment-normalize-vars' so that it uses the syntax information
>> (current syntax table, `syntax-table' text property) _only_, whenever
>> `comment-use-syntax' is set and this is possible.
>
> (I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
> at the time.)
>
> We now have some multi-mode modes in Emacs, so I'm not sure what's being
> proposed here is necessary these days (or indeed it has been fixed in
> the decade since this was reported).  Is this something that is still
> relevant?

Honestly, I don't know: I ended up using the defadvice hack those 10
years ago, but a few years after that the major mode that needed it
became obsolete along with the application whose config files it
supported, and I haven't needed anything similar since then.

Given that nobody other than Stefan, who expressed reservations to my
suggestions, has chimed in during those 10 years and, as you say, the
landscape of possible solutions has likely changed, in its current state
this bug report will probably not be less useful closed than it is
opened, should you so prefer.

  Thanks,

  Štěpán