Subject: bug#9132: 24.0.50; bootstrap failure on windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 04:36:48 -0400

> From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 17:13:08 -0400
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> 
> $ bzr pull
> $ cd nt
> $ ./configure.bat --no-debug --with-gcc --cflags -IC:/gnu/gnuwin32/include --ldflags -LC:/gnu/gnuwin32/lib  --without-xpm
> $ c:/gnu/gnuwin32/bin/make bootstrap
> .......
> make[2]: Leaving directory `C:/sds/src/emacs/trunk/lisp'
> C:/gnu/gnuwin32/bin/make -w  -C ../leim all
> [Please ignore a syntax error on the next line - it is intentional]
> /usr/bin/sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
> /usr/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file
> make[2]: Entering directory `C:/sds/src/emacs/trunk/leim'
> "./../src/oo-spd/i386/emacs.exe" -batch --no-site-file --no-site-lisp -f batch-byte-compile quail/latin-ltx.el
> Symbol's function definition is void: batch-byte-compile

Is this a new thing?  When was the last time you succeeded to
bootstrap on Windows, and did something change in your system
configuration since then?  A new port of Bash, perhaps, or of Make, or
of GCC?

Anyway, leim/makefile.w32-in has this part:

  buildlisppath=$(CURDIR)/$(dot)$(dot)/lisp
  ...
  # Set EMACSLOADPATH correctly (already defined in environment).
  EMACSLOADPATH=$(buildlisppath)

Could you check if this somehow doesn't get defined correctly or
doesn't take effect?  E.g., perhaps $(CURDIR) evaluates to something
that's unpalatable to the native Windows build of Emacs?  Or maybe you
need to export it?

Also, if you type the failing command manually, does it succeed or
does it fail in the same way?