Subject: bug#9113: 24.0.50; auth-sources: .authinfo versus .authinfo.gpg

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:37:17 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]> writes:

> As a default, it seems that storing the credential data in a temporary
> in-memory auth-source backend *by default* is the best solution.  

You use already password-cache.el in auth-source.el. It could be made
public by allowing a :cache entry in `auth-sources'.

> Then on exit or on `auth-source-save', if there is something in the
> in-memory backend, we can ask the user if he wants to save the passwords
> and where, with all the consequent UI choices.  The user can pick a
> plain file, or a plain file with password tokens, or a GPG-encrypted
> file (with or without external support), or the platform's keychain
> service, if available.  At that time the UI can modify `auth-sources'
> for the user.

Too complicate. If a user decides for cached passwords, she shouldn't be
asked for saving. It is convenient enough to enter a password only once
during a session.

> Ted

Best regards, Michael.