Subject: bug#9113: 24.0.50; auth-sources: .authinfo versus .authinfo.gpg

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 18:52:25 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm not sure what this means: how does it fix the problem, what other
> consequences does it have?  E.g. will Emacs end up asking for my
> password to read autoinfo.gpg even though the thing it's looking for is
> not there?

Yes.  That was the major reason for not using .authinfo.gpg.

>> 2) use unencrypted authinfo with encrypted password tokens, which
>>    looks like this:
>
>> machine supertest password
>> gpg:jA0EAwMC2tUEaZgM7A5gyWM/owySdCOS/cjoFCuf8LI1d1kYX7z6cjsNkakM04u1geh/iesqyH3XQFI+SEVLb/oEC/EoQ0LIgRRoBiLyu9XZWN1ytY7MQxpPZniFz13oGV4/Dwl8yrP3Hba5LfQpHy2FZRM=
>
> That might be a good option.

Yes.  But it will require the user to type in a password to get to the
password.  :-)  And again, programs like Firefox defaults to storing the
passwords in non-encrypted files, so I don't really see why Emacs should
be more difficult to use than Firefox.

> IIRC for 23 the default was to keep the password for the current session
> and not to store it in any file at all.  I think it's a better default
> than writing it in clear in some file, so at least for 24.1 reverting to
> the Emacs-23 default is very attractive.

Well, Emacs 23 just made you write the .authinfo file by hand.  Emacs 24
prompts you for whether you want to store the password or not.  If you
don't want to, say "n".

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Rome