Subject: bug#9111: emacs hangs in Windows 7

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 01:18:05 +0200

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 21:49, Jeremy Lichstein <[email-masked]> wrote:

> any suggestions?

More information. When does it happen? At the start, after a while,
randomly? Does it happen once in each Emacs run, or multiple times? Is
the computer in a network? Have you notices it happening more often
(or exclusively) when doing something special, like reading mail or
visiting certain files?

> I read some suggestions on the web about changing some settings in my
> .emacs file,

Which suggestions?

> but I cannot even find this file on my computer

If you haven't created it, you likely won't have it. In any case, its
place is whenever Emacs considers that HOME is located, which can vary
according to your setup. But, fortunately, you can do C-x C-f ~/.emacs
and if it exists you will be able to edit it (and if you don't, and
save that file, you will create it).

    Juanma