Subject: bug#9110: how to map sh-mode to mean bash-mode

From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 07:52:04 +0200

Am 17.07.2011 22:42, schrieb [email-masked]:
> Dear bug-gnu-emacs,
> There is no way to map sh-mode to bash-mode.

Again: AFAIK there no such thing like `bash-mode' in Emacs.

There is a `sh-mode' dealing with several kind of shells.
If `sh-mode' thinks you are dealing with a bash -- by shebang or 
suffix-- it provides for it. An alias is called `shell-script-mode'

See C-h f shell-script-mode RET

for what it does.

> As you know, the bash shell likes to call itself sh sometimes.

Didn't know that. Curious to read an example.

> But it is really still bash.
Well, bash might use a sh as a subset. Don't know that architecture.

> Hence I would like to make my emacs assume anything it thinks is sh is
> really bash, and thus show me "bash" in the mode line, not "sh", no
> matter how smart it thinks it is.

Could you deliver an example of usage for that?
If you send code written for a bash to a simple sh - some may work, 
others will fail.
You are surely implementing bugs then.

  See also
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2011-07/msg00143.html
> However the real solution should be a one liner of lisp in ones .emacs.
>

What's great about a one-liner? Usually they are hard to read.